Tramping planning resources that you may require before you head out in the New Zealand outdoors.
Here is a few guidelines that I follow to ensure a successful trip.
- Tramp in a group (min 3 people)
- File a route intention (and have a person act on it if you are overdue)
- Take enough food & water (include an emergency supply)
- Take water proof & warm clothing (to prevent exposure)
- Take a map, compass, GPS (if have one) & personal locator beacon (if you have one, especially in remote terrain)
- Take note of the weather forecast
- Carry mobile phone
- Know your limits & risks
Click on a tramping resource for more information.
- Topo Map Chooser (http://www.linz.govt.nz/topography/topo-maps/map-chooser)
Find what topo maps you need
- Topo Map Online (http://www.topomap.co.nz)
View topo maps online
- Department of Conservation (http://www.doc.govt.nz)
Information on tracks, campsites, huts and the areas visiting
- DOC Maps (http://maps.doc.govt.nz/Viewer/Index.html?viewer=rwa)
Find DOC tracks, campsites, hutsinformation on tracks and the areas visiting